Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Opal Weidner (1920-2009)

She was a gem, Lonnie, Jr. said.  

He was right.

A character...one-of-a-kind...they don't make em like that anymore kind of ladies.  She was 88, but still as cute as a button.  She killed a water moccasin in her yard two weeks ago with a hoe!

I'll miss her Whitman Sampler boxes of chocolate at Christmas.  Along with the note that always accompanied it.  "Dear ones..."  It always began the same way.

Her children are our friends.  Mary Wolfe, Martha Weidner, Garland and Lonnie.  Her grandkids are our friends, too.  Karen Weber, Calvin Jean, and Lisa--The Wolfe Girls...Debbie, Tammie, Bethany, and Stacey--Lonnie and Kevin Weidner--Brad...

Their backyard joined MaMaw and PaPaw Brady's for so many years.  So my memories are so similar to theirs...fish fries after a day on the lake, racing down the driveway down the hill, playing all over the La. Campgrounds, everybody kneeling and praying for as long as it took every night before we all went to bed...

Make sure you give the little dog a good home.   

4 comments:

Kensie said...

I thought the world of her and so did my mother! We called her Mawmaw Wiedner. Mrs. Mary and Mrs. Martha (my piano teacher) are two fine people! Its so true that people live on through other people.

melani shock said...

Thanks for your comment, Kensie. Mrs. Martha taught me piano, as well! See? I'm almost as young as you! :-) ha

mbs

Shasta Miller said...

If I could have "chosen" a Mammaw for myself. It would have still been Opal Ines Weidner. You see, I was graphed into this family, but God knew what I needed, and she was the perfect fit for my life. (long story made short. :) I felt bad for all the other kids who were not a part of this Weidner family.
Something funny:
She was so sweet to watch out for me, and especially good at watching my weight for me. lol She would cook these incredible meals, and expect us to eat until it was gone. Then she would begin to tell me all the places I needed to loose weight. lol Thanks Mammaw...lol

melani shock said...

Shasta...glad to see you here at The Parson's House. Hang out a while...:-)
mbs