Friday, March 12, 2010

In Praise of Fundraiser Roses. . .

About 4-5 years ago, the Parson entered the house one afternoon with an armful of beautiful Red Roses.  I (being the sweet, loving, soft-spoken person that I am) looked over my shoulder from the Boiling Pot on the Stove and said, "Oh hey.  What Fundraiser did those come from?"

Now before you go off on a Tangent in your mind about how Ungrateful the Good Wife is, let me explain.  We had been married about 20 years at the time and NEVER--not ONE TIME--had the Parson given the Good Wife any flowers.  (Which was fine, because the Good Wife said she would rather him spend that Hard Earned Money on something that wouldn't die in 4 days, anyway.)

But anyway, this was the One Time that he not only was thinking of how much he Loved me, but he didn't even get them from the Grocery Store.  He had actually gone to the Florist and had them arranged in a beautiful vase.

He was quite Offended, and I felt really Bad.

This morning, quite early, there was a knock on my Front Door.  It was an elderly gentleman from our church with a Big Smile looking like the Cat that just ate the Canary, holding out a bouquet of one dozen Pink Roses.  He handed me the card, (which described the Fund Raiser), but the bottom said, "Love you.  Terry."

I decided right then and there that Fundraiser Roses are quite lovely and carry just as Powerful a Punch as Roses from any other Source.  The elderly gentleman's Cheshire Cat Smile didn't hurt.  And the "Love You" message from Terry didn't hurt, either.  And I'm sure the Money probably went to a Very Good Cause.

Yep, it's a really Pretty Day here at The Parson's House. (Soggy foundation and all!)

No comments: