Monday, March 7, 2011

jet lag

Traveling overseas ain't no piece of cake!

Jet lag is a real deal.  If you have never traveled overseas (especially going west...that's by far the worst!) then you just have no way of knowing how debilitating it really can be.

It's not a sleep issue.  It's a body thing.  Like you are in the room, but your body's not.  And then, around mid-afternoon somebody pulls the plug and lets all the air out of your arms and legs and you are like those balloon people that fly around on car lots going every which way. (Which, by the way, I have never understood. And just HOW is that supposed to want to make me buy a car from your dealership?) But back to jet lag...

So, I know it's a real deal.  I've been up since 4:28 a.m., tired as all get out and wanting to say God woke me up to pray and I responded, but deep down I know that it's really jet lag and so do you.

So, it's a real deal.  BUT...you knew there was a but...I am sincerely amazed at how extensive and powerful jet lag really is.

For example:

Them:  Mom, could you iron my shirt?
Me:  Why me? Why don't you iron it?
Them:  I have jet lag.

Me: Did you feed the dogs?
Them:  No.
Me:  Why?
Them:  I have jet lag.

Me:  Where are my glasses?
Them:  I'll help you look.  Here they are!  In the refrigerator! Why did you put them there?
Me:  I have jet lag.

Me:  I've told you not to text in church.  Put the phone up.
Them:  But Mom...(whine)...I have jet lag!

Me: I'm freezing! Who turned the heat down in here?
Them:  I did.
Me:  Why?
Them:  I have jet lag.

Them:  This soup is too salty.
Me:  That's because I have jet lag.

Headlines in morning newspaper:
"Members of local minister's home found dead sitting in upright positions due to jet lag."

2 comments:

Jim Poitras said...

Great explanation of jetlag. Enjoyed it!

Paula said...

I agree...this is a great description! I don't know how my in-laws do what they do...going through jet lag multiple times a year! It's exhausting. Loved all the "me vs them" snippets of conversation tho. :) Milk it as long as you can!!! :) :)

When you come visit here, you'll also have the altitude as an 'excuse'. Hehe