Wednesday, December 8, 2010

fourteen

I am really having trouble wrapping my brain around the concept of time.  


I really do believe that the 60 minutes I experienced in childhood were MUCH shorter than the 60 minutes we are experiencing in the 21st century.  

It was an eternity from birth to 14 for me.

But it was only about 2 years from birth to 14 for the parson's son.  

Fourteen.  The Boy is 14.  Crazy.  


But yesterday's birthday wasn't just any ole celebration.  For me, the mom, (the one who actually did all the work 14 years ago), the day was a poignant Thanksgiving Day brimming over with awe, gratefulness, and wonder. 

My status on Facebook read this way:  

Celebrating the birthday of my miracle son today. Survived birth with the umbilical cord wrapped TWICE around his neck and tied in a square knot, lives full and big even without part of his immune system, and totally thrives in life! 14 years of God's protection and mercy. I'm one grateful mom.


His journey has been anything but easy.  But his challenges changed the gear mechanism of our home.  And that, in turn, created a new environment...a better environment...a more purposeful environment.  As a result, we are all much better people.

We learned that nothing in life is guaranteed and that, in order to fulfill our destiny, each day must be lived with laser-sharp clarity and focused intention.   

And, in return, we received the privilege of sharing life with a wonderful, funny, kind, brilliant, old soul who consistently amazes us with his junior-high edition of wise intuition. 

I love him fiercely.


No comments: